About SOBA - Our Impact
For over 90 years, the South Omaha Business Association (SOBA) has been making a positive impact in the community of South Omaha.
Inner city urban areas across the nation face the challenge of preserving their historical identity as well as garnering support to help their business districts thrive. SOBA continues to play a key role in helping South Omaha overcome these challenges.
In recent years, SOBA has helped strenghten the community by:
- Partnering with the City of Omaha, the Omaha Chamber of Commerce, and other community organizations on short term and long
term community improvement projects.
- Taking a leadership role in the redevelopment of the historic South 24th Street Business District which includes the recently
completed streetscape project and the Tree of Life sculpture installation on the corner of 24th and L Street.
- Partnering with local organizations for annual maintenance of the flower beds in the 24th Street streetscape planters.
- Leading efforts with local shop and restaurant owners to keep their storefronts and sidewalks clean.
- Sponsoring the local Cinco de Mayo Omaha weekend activities which annually draws tens of thousands of visitors to South Omaha.
Proceeds from the annual event are disbursed to several local non-profit organizations serving community residents.
- Actively participating in graffiti abatement projects.
- Donations of bicycles to the Omaha Police Department's bike patrol.
- Donations to foundations providing scholarships to community youth.